Posted: Dec 2, 2019
Category: The Musician Business
**Guest post by Wade Sutton of Rocket to the Stars Artist Services.
"I just received an e-mail from an agent/producer in LA pitching a pop artist he is working with and the bio is literally one of the biggest travesties in the history of modern writing. And, yes, I e-mailed him telling him so.
Wade's quick notes:
1. Seriously ... if your bio looks anything like this and either you, an agent or a producer sends it out to people, I can not emphasize enough how badly it is likely killing your career. This is why there are some things you must pay a professional to do. That bio came in the first e-mail I received about her so it determined my first impression of her and her team.
2. Why the f**k is her "team" okay with sending this bio out? Are they just as illiterate as the bio's author? Or do they not give a rat's ass because mom and dad wrote out that fat check so who cares? This is why the type of people you surround yourself with matters!!!!
3. Now that the problem has been pointed out, the so-called agent/producer says he is going to rewrite it. The same agent/producer who either didn't see the problem to begin with or who decided to ignore it and send it out? The same individual who has been sending out the e-mail making the girl and the entire team look like a bunch of idiots? But, again, who cares as long as mom and dad are cutting that check!
4. Usually when including bios at the tail end of press releases ... and even in the body of the actual release ... we bold the keywords we want to stand out. Capping the first letter of random words just makes a person look illiterate.
5. JC Penney is misspelled!!!"
Related Blog Posts:
Wade Sutton is the founder of Rocket to the Stars, an artist services record label with clients around the world. He is also the creator and host of The Six-Minute Music Business Podcast, which can be heard on YouTube. In addition to being an outspoken advocate for artists, he was a featured speaker during the 2018 Music Entrepreneur Conference at Harvard University. You can learn more about him by visiting www.RockettotheStars.com.