Protecting My Music Rights & Collecting Royalties


In order to collect songwriting and performance royalties you absolutely must become a member of one of the big three performing rights organizations in the U.S.


These organizations collect licensing fees on behalf of songwriters, composers and publishers and distribute them as royalties to their appropriate members. Check out the following websites for further information and get yourself signed up ASAP...

"BMI was founded by radio executives to provide competition in the field of performing rights, to assure royalty payments to writers and publishers of music not represented by the existing performing right organization and to provide an alternative source of licensing for all music users."

"We protect the rights of ASCAP members by licensing and distributing royalties for the non-dramatic public performances of their copyrighted works. Our licensees encompass all who want to perform copyrighted music publicly. We make giving and obtaining permission to perform music simple for both creators and music users."

"With an international reach and a vast repertory that spans virtually every genre of music, SESAC is the fastest growing and most technologically adept of the nation’s performing rights companies."



And with regards to satellite radio royalties, such as Sirius XM, Internet radio, and Cable TV music channels, give SoundExchange a look.


"The Copyright Royalty Board, which is appointed by The U.S. Library of Congress, has entrusted SoundExchange as the sole entity in the United States to collect and distribute these digital performance royalties on behalf of featured recording artists, master rights owners (like record labels), and independent artists who record and own their masters." In other words, they're the real deal.



Related Posts:

+Pretty Lights Talks About Legal Issues with Sampling

+How Do I Copyright My Music?

+What's The Difference Between ASCAP/BMI/SESAC and SoundExchange?