This topic can no longer be replied to because it has been locked.

Progressing With Band Members in Different Locations??
thethad
What's up...I've been playing in a band now for 8 years. For the last 5 we have all been in different areas (Philly, South Carolina, etc.) Over this time we will get together and a play gig once or twice a year, always rehashing old material. Though we are all in different projects at this point, we all love this band and refuse to give it up, so rather that have a "reunion show" every year or so we've recently decided to start writing new material and recording over a distance. I know the technology is available and this occurs all the time, but where do you start? Anyone have any experience with this? I have my thoughts, but I'd love some input.

Gracias,

Thad- The Subliminal Criminals.
cronos
Hey Thad!

Great set at the Note by the way. Have you guys thought of just using GarageBand or something of the like and sharing files so that each person can add in their respective parts?
thethad
Thanks I really appreciate it. Yeah I think we are going to go the ProTools route and just toy around with sending stuff back and forth. I suppose MediaFire would work best for actually exchanging the files. I also wonder if ProTools or any of the like have a "synced" account setting of some type so that people could mix and manipulate from different locations live....I doubt that exists. I think the best to hope for would be get solid demos down in this manner and then just pound out stuff same format when we are all together. Who knows? I'd like to get savvy with this type of stuff though. Are you gonna make any music outside of the mighty Z in your off time?

Peace.
t
cronos
Yeah, ProTools is a great tool too. Not sure if the sync thing exists but I wouldn't be surprised. I have a friend I could refer you too if you want some contact info...That's a good question about the Z. I do have some songs in the works but I guess time will tell over the next few months.