This topic can no longer be replied to because it has been locked.

easy live audio...tips?
OrganicAudio
What are some of everyone's tried & true methods of capturing a decent / listenable basic live show recording? There are handheld Zoom recorders, iPhones, 2 57's taped to a mic stand into a 4 track...

But there are considerations not only of audio quality, but also economics...and the concern of not getting your device stolen during the epic 15-min solo break. What do you feel is affordable / most useful for capturing a quick and dirty live recording, to be able to check out in the van later?
Tail
We've used a relatively inexpensive field recorder from Best Buy, I think it was $130 and it picks up sound, especially loud sounds, pretty well. We plug in a good set of monitor headphones and have a close friend walk around during sound check to pick a good spot and buy him beer to record it. Sometimes you'll hear him mingling with girls, sometimes guys, but it makes for a good time and a good reference if you happen to forget most of the night.

I then take the recording, split it by the songs to cut out some of the banter, EQ and compress and polish it up enough so that it's pleasant to the ears and voila! You can always talk to the sound guy and see if he can use a stereo d/i 1/4-1/8" adapter to run into the recorder from the board if possible, sometimes they ask for money, most of the time they're cool.
OrganicAudio

Jaret Salvat-Rivera - 01/24/2012 07:58 am

We've used a relatively inexpensive field recorder from Best Buy, I think it was $130 and it picks up sound, especially loud sounds, pretty well

That sounds great...simple and useful...can you provide some specific info please, as far as make / model # / etc for folks on here that may be interested in checking this item out?
Tail
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Zoom-H4n-Handy-Hand-Held-Portable-Digital-Recorder-w-1-9-Inch-LCD-Screen-/300653092801?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4600521fc1#ht_1823wt_1348

I think it's this one, maybe got it cheaper around the holidays. I'll find it tomorrow and find the exact model, I think ours is all silver.

Anything that has those swivel stereo mics and good quality recording capabilities will do and you can always run the tracks through some editing software.
Tail
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-DR-07MKII-Handheld-Digital-Recorder-H72438-i1837592.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB This is the one!
jimdier
I have the Zoom H2 and have had great luck with it.

The secret is to make sure you do not record too hot and that you set up in a good location.

Check out the videos on my youtube page
(like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkE2Kby144 )

The audio is a Zoom H2 sitting on the meter bridge of the FOH mixing board. I synced it with some handheld video and posted it. To my ears, it does a decent job.